Thursday, February 7, 2013

Facebook Peepshow?


Okay, I'm going to try Facebook again. I have used Facebook in the past, but the experience left me entirely underwhelmed. The constant deluge of crap was a turnoff instead of something interesting. And on top of the effluent stream of nonsense, there was the problem of everyone from the government to advertisers interested in every little detail about your life. Facebook gave them the perfect vehicle to pry the lid off of anything you might have once considered private. Since there was little of value on Facebook at the time, it didn't seem like a worthwhile trade-off.
Lack of connections with other people has brought me back to the table with Facebook. I have a tendency to live the life of a hermit and most of my friends are scattered out over the United States and the rest of the world. Despite how much I like the privacy features of Google+, there just isn't anyone there. And what is a social network without people?
I am still skeptical about the benefits of Facebook, and the privacy features are questionable to say the least. I consider it highly likely that at some point in the future my sweet little aunt is going to end up receiving a post covering atheism, sex positive interactions, liberal ideology, or something else that is going to send her heart racing; and not in a good way. The controls aren't intuitive, and judging from Facebook's past, they could be changed at any time without notice.
Having a Facebook account still feels like walking out of the bathroom not knowing whether you have your dress tucked into the back of your panties of not. The only real difference is that you are at least walking out of the bathroom with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment